Integrated Engineering Forged Connecting Rods Suit Aftermarket Pistons - Audi A3 8P/TT 8J/A4 B8/VW Golf GTI Mk5, Mk6/Passat B6
Adding a larger turbo or more boost to your VW/Audi EA888 Gen 1 & 2 TSI engine? Upgrade the weak links in your block and keep your engine together reliably with IE's market-leading Volkswagen and Audi forged connecting rods!
When increasing the power output of your EA888 2.0T Gen 1 & 2 engine, internal parts begin to fail as they are pushed far beyond their original factory spec limits. Integrated Engineering Forged Connecting Rods are designed to replace the factory units and take the beating from today's high-output power modifications. Drive fast and reliably with IE performance rods, guaranteed to support 700HP!
- 21mm wrist pin for use with all aftermarket 21mm pistons only
- Forged from vacuum drawn 2 piece 4340 chrome moly steel
- Upgraded H beam design greatly increases strength and durability
- Combination tested to 700HP on 4 cylinder engines
- Includes IE Spec ARP 2000 rod bolts with "IE" stamp to ensure a genuine product
- Individual computer optimized design to match unique VW/Audi engine applications
- Honed to exacting tolerances within 250 millionths of an inch
- Optional forced pin oiling (rifle drilling) for long wrist pin life
- Each connecting rod set is balanced to weights within +/- 1 gram
- Dimensionally and magnaflux inspected to ensure extreme reliability
- Multi-stage heat treated for dimensional stability and fatigue life
- CENTER TO CENTER: 144mm
- WRIST PIN DIAMETER: 21mm
- BIG END JOURNAL WIDTH: 21.90mm
- WRIST PIN STYLE: Non-tapered
- BIG END JOURNAL DIAMETER: 50.60mm
- AVERAGE ROD WEIGHT (WITH BOLTS): 548 grams
- ROD BOLT DIMENSIONS: 3/8" x 1.5" UHL
H BEAM DESIGN
The H-beam design is the workhorse of our connecting rod product line. This design features strength, durability, stiffness, and rigidity. IE H-beam Connecting Rods are a great upgrade over weaker factory units.
All IE rods are designed specifically for the application using relevant cylinder pressure and other application-specific factors. We put our vast European engine knowledge to use when designing each application.
Honing the connecting rod big end in-house on state of the art equipment ensures the tolerances are set correctly to ensure proper bearing operation. Lesser quality rods are often not honed with the same attention to detail.
MATERIAL FORGED 4340
Made from strong and durable 2 piece 4340 forgings these rods will withstand almost everything you can throw at them.
IE/ARP ROD BOLTS
All IE rods come standard with ARP 2000 rod bolts. The rod bolts included in every set of IE rods are stamped with the letters "IE" as a way to ensure you have a genuine set of IE rods.
INCLUDED ARP 2000 ROD BOLT TORQUE SPECS
*The following torque spec is for the included ARP 2000 3/8" rod bolts using the included ARP assembly lubricant only. Do not follow this guide using ARP +625, other assembly lubricants, or alternative bolts.
The preferred method of measuring bolt load is with a stretch bolt gauge. The included ARP 2000 bolts need to be tightened and measured to .006” of stretch using the included ARP assembly lubricant.
When using a high-quality torque wrench, first verify the torque wrench has not been dropped and is properly calibrated. A un-calibrated torque wrench can lead to under/over torque and rod bolt failure. Torque each rod bolt to a final torque of 50 ft/lbs. We recommend torquing the bolt, breaking it loose, and re-torquing the bolt 3 times per bolt. This ensures proper rod bolt stretch and that the rod cap is fully seated. Do not exceed 50 ft/lbs. This torque spec is based off the included ARP assembly lubricant.
Connecting rods are some of the highest stressed components in an engine and thus require extreme attention to detail to ensure proper operation and reliability. Integrated Engineering ensures the success of your next engine build by putting each set of connecting rods through a rigorous quality control process. For years Integrated Engineering H-beam Rods have been an integral part of delivering the power that the highest powered turbo setups and race engine demand.
Extra attention has been paid to even the smallest details such as the bearing tangs, wrist pin fit, and big end side clearance, providing a level of fit and finish not found anywhere else. Each and every set is finish machined and honed in-house for perfectly round and on size big-end bores, resulting in the industry's lowest failure rates. All rods in this series feature generous wrist pin oiling and optional rifle drilling. One of the hallmarks of a high quality connecting rod is its strength to weight ratio. In order to create this balance of strength and lightweight, our optimized H beam design is utilized and validated using modern CAD drafting and FEA analysis techniques. These techniques ensure the rod is as light and strong as possible, perfect for today's powerful and high rpm European applications.
- Audi - A4 2009-2015 (B8 - B8.5) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
- Audi - A4 Allroad 2009-2015 (B8 - B8.5) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
- Audi - A5 2008-2015 (B8 - B8.5) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
- Audi - Q5 2008-2015 (8R) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
- Audi - A6 2012-2015 (C7 - C7.5) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
- Audi - TT 2008-2015 (MK2 - 8J) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
- Audi - A3 2006-2013 (MK2 - 8P) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
- Audi - Q3 2011-2015 (8U) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
- VW - GTI 2006-2009 (MK5) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
- VW - GTI 2009-2013 (MK6) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
- VW - Jetta & Jetta GLI 2010-2014 (MK6) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
- VW - Jetta SportWagen 2011-2014 (MK6) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
- VW - CC 2009-2015 (3C8) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
- VW - Passat 2006-2010 (B6) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
- VW - EOS 2006-2015 (1F7) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
- VW - Beetle 2011-2015 (MK2) 2.0T TSI EA888 Gen 1 & 2 engines*
*ENGINE CODES: CCTA, CCZA, CCZB, CBF, CBFA, CAEB
*REQUIRES FACTORY 21MM WRIST PIN TAPERED PISTONS ONLY
AVAILABLE ROD BEARINGS
- Mahle Motorsport performance rod bearings - IE Part Number: MAH-VC1027
- Calico/ACL performance coated rod bearings - IE Part Number: CAL-4B1606H
- OE replacement rod bearings - IE Part Number: OEM-18T-RBSET
Are these a direct replacement for my factory rods?
These rods fit VW/Audi EA888 Gen 1 & 2 TSI engines found in many VW/Audi MK6 chassis and are a direct replacement for the factory rod when installing with 21mm tapered wrist pin factory pistons only. This connecting rod is not compatible with aftermarket pistons.
Is there a proper orientation to install the bearing tangs on our connecting rods?
We recommend installing the bearings tangs facing the exhaust side of the engine.
Are these connecting rods forged?
Yes, all Integrated Engineering Connecting Rods are made from tough and durable 4340 forgings. These forgings far exceed the quality of most factory rods that are typically made from powdered metal as a cost-saving measure.
What other parts will be needed to install my new IE connecting rod set?
We recommend at a minimum you should use a new set of connecting rod bearings when installing rods.
Do these rods require any additional machine work for installation?
IE connecting rods are delivered to you in "ready to install" condition. Other engine machine work may be required though when rebuilding an engine, such as decking the block or boring and honing cylinder walls.
Is balancing the engine required when installing these connecting rods?
Since IE rods are sold in balanced sets this is not required. For extreme performance application, this can still be done if desired.
What is the maximum RPM limit of these rods?
The maximum RPM limit can be affected by many factors. In this application, we suggest not exceeding 8500 RPM with ARP 2000 bolts. If you plan on exceeding this RPM level, consider upgrading to ARP 625+ bolts.
What is the horsepower rating on these connecting rods?
Many high horsepower VW and Audi vehicles use IE rods. We rate our 4 cylinder H-beam rods for 700+ HP/ft lb TQ. If you are planning on exceeding those levels we recommend upgrading to our Tuscan I-beam Rods.
What are the most common reasons for connecting rod failure?
As one of highest stressed components in the engine there are several things that can contribute to a failure. The most common failure is caused by improper installation followed by improper tuning. We recommend that you seek professional help for both installation and tuning. Oiling system health is also essential to ensuring save engine operation. Momentary oil starvation can result in spun rod bearings and engine failure. In extreme applications also be sure that you are using heavy duty wrist pins. On many of the pistons we offer we either include stout wrist pins or offer them as an upgrade.